• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

2015-16 Football Prediction

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  4,131
  • Days Won:  15

I believe we go 6-6 this season. We have Memphis, Temple and Cincy at home. We'll take at least one of those games. We also beat MD on the road.

Could be ugly at FSU and Navy with losses by >21 points.

You'll like what you see this year.

Go Bulls!

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

If we lose to Navy by 21+, I doubt I'm going to like what I see from the year.

• Upvote 1

Then you know nothing about Navy football. They are rock solid and could win the conference. That triple option O is beyond tough to stop over 60 minutes. It's on the road and we historically don't play well on the road.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Pass, next question

Edited by Skingraft

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I don't think it will be a 21 point loss, but I am not expecting a win vs Navy.

The last few years we have not played well anywhere, but historically, most of our biggest wins have been on the road. Just not sure how good we will be this year.

There is young athleticism on the team. I am not just not really sure how well it has been developed into football talent yet. If any game comes down to the final 4 minutes or if game management becomes a deciding factor I don't have much confidence in Taggart.

This year is still a big question mark to me.

Edited by usfgrad84

Hang with the 84. The bottom was reached and its up from here. We'll surprise someone this year who's not paying attention.

FAMU -- USF opens slowly, but the offense starts to click.  The Rattlers just don't have anything for the USF defense, and fail to reach USF territory in the first half.  Flowers starts and plays the first three quarters going 8 of 15 with one INT and 2 TDs running (the result of a ball that went through the WRs hands).  USF wins going away 41 - 7 (1 - 0 | 0 - 0).

Florida State -- The Bulls come out strong on defense, and FSU struggles to find a rhythm.  Flowers' feet keep the Seminoles defense honest for the first half, and USF goes into halftime with a 10-3 lead.  Jimbo Fisher and his staff make adjustments, and the talent difference and depth prove to be a factor on a hot Tallahassee afternoon.  FSU pulls ahead in the middle of the third quarter and doesn't look back.  USF loses 20 - 31  (1 - 1 | 0 - 0)

Maryland -- The Terps' retooled offense looked just "okay" in their first two games against Richmond and Bowling Green, but the Bulls defense shows just how strong it is.  Randy Edsall has issues finding a QB, and plays both Rowe and "journeyman" Garmann (3 power five teams in five years!) -- but the Bulls record 8 sacks and 4 turnovers.  The USF offense plays on a lot of short fields and, while not polished, does more than enough to win.  USF 34 - 3 (2 - 1 | 0 - 0)

Memphis -- This is a classic unstoppable-force-meets-immovable-object game.  The strongest and weakest units face off -- the Memphis offense, led by Paxton Lynch, comes out strong capitalizing on a couple of USF turnovers and takes a 14-0 lead.  Tom Allen is able to get the defense to buckle down, and shuts the Tigers down for nearly the rest of the game.  Meanwhile, Flowers shakes off some early struggles (1 for his first 8) thanks to some great catches by Dillon and Whitehead, as well as two 30+ yard runs.  The Bulls pull to 14-10 at halftime, and runs a 3rd quarter punt back for a TD.  USF takes the 3rd quarter lead and holds off a late charge.  USF wins 27 - 21 (3 - 1 | 1 - 0)

Syracuse -- The Orange come to town struggling on offense, but with a rebuilding defense.  (Sounds familiar, right).  The Bulls units are better than the Orange, so this could be a game USF fans expect to win.  Flowers struggles for most of the game ... with 3 INTS - but CWT doesn't pull him.  The Orange, however, are unable to capitalize scoring just one field goal on those turnovers.  The Bull Sharks get a pick-sick from Fullwood and hold the Orange at bay.  USF 13 - 3 (4 - 1 | 1 - 0)

U Conn -- The Huskies in 2015 are the USF bulls in 2014 - the first real year of rebuilding.  They played a lot of underclassmen, and graduated 20 seniors.  They don't have a proven quarterback, and there are concerns about the OL.  The Bulls won a sloppy game last year (thanks to a monsoon).  It will be drier in Hartford, but Mack will break out and get his third 100-yard game, and the U Conn defense will make Flowers look better than average (12 - 16 for 211 yards).  It's not a blow out, but it's never in doubt either.  USF 31 - 10 (5 - 1 | 2 - 0)

After U Conn, USF starts showing up in the "Also Receiving Votes" sections of the human polls.

SMU -- The Mustangs come to town with a new coach and almost entirely new starters from last year's 1-11 team.  The Bulls 4-2-5 defense is perfectly matched against the spread run by SMU Coach Chad Morris.  Raymond James is packed for the first time in years.  Flowers throws for 2 TDs and runs for 2 more, as the Bulls get back to bowl eligibility.  USF 42 - 17 (6 - 1 | 3 - 0)

Navy -- The Midshipmen's Triple Option is amazing to watch.  You know every play they are going to run.  USF won't need as many DBs, so we might see two players in the "Husky" role -- and the Bull Shark defense is outstanding going East-West.  The question is whether it will be good enough.  Navy QB Reynolds is a great runner, but a below average passer (46% completion last year).  Teams that beat Navy last year held Reynolds' running in check and forced him to throw more... and I think USF will do just that.  The Bulls continue a remarkable season and win on the road.   USF wins 31 - 27 (7 - 1 | 4 - 0)

ECU -- The Bulls success is starting to get ahead of them.  They go to Greenville a little too cocky.  The Pirates are ready for them, and the Bulls just can get it together.  Halftime sees a 24 - 7 lead for ECU.  CWT pulls Flowers in the 3rd quarter to see if Bench can spark the offense.  Too little, too late.  USF loses 13 - 34 (7 - 2 | 4 - 1)

Temple -- The Owls offense has struggled all year, but their defense has kept them in some games.  Flowers returns as starter as CWT says he made a mistake pulling him the previous game.  USF and Temple both have issues and this game comes down to defenses that can capitalize.  Vincent Jackson returns a fumble for a TD, and that is the deciding factor.  USF wins 20 - 16 (8 - 2 | 5 - 1).

Cincinnati -- The this game will give Cincy or the Bulls the AAC East division crown.  The Bearcats come into the game with the same one conference loss, and all other East opponents have two conference losses or more.  A playoff feel to it - a sold out Raymond James stadium (lower bowl only) - Friday night lights.   Gunner Kiel comes out and on the first play throws an 80-yard TD because the defensive back slipped on the play.  Flowers and company march back down the field and tie it up.  Cincy then goes fumble-punt-fumble-punt-punt the rest of the first half. USF gets another TD and two field goals to take a 17 - 7 halftime lead.  Tommy Turbeville has his team adjust and they come out firing.  The Bearcats tie the game in the 4th quarter 24-24 with 0:24 remaining, and it looks like we're heading to overtime.  A squib kick gives the Bulls the ball at the 30 yard line.  Flowers drops back to pass, scrambles under a blitz, and finds Bronson down field for a 30 yard gain... a quick pass inside the 35 yard line allows Nadelman to set up for the game winning 51-yard field goal.  The Bulls clinch the division 27 - 24. (9 - 2 | 6 - 1)

With the win, USF is ranked #24 in the nation.

UCF -- The Knights struggled this year, and are limping into the game at 6 - 5.  The Bulls are looking for revenge -- and CWT pulls out some stops with trick plays.  The defense gets six turnovers, Flowers and Mack each get 2 TDs on the ground.  USF puts the icing on the cake and beats UCF 34 - 3 (10 - 2 | 7 - 1)

USF moves up to #19 in the nation.

AAC Championship Game -- The Bulls will get to host the first ever championship game, facing the Memphis Tigers who won the West Division going 6 - 2 in the American conference (9 - 3 overall).  The game plays out a lot like the first game, with Memphis jumping out to an early 10 - 0 lead, USF moving ahead before halftime at 14 - 10, and the lead changing hands two more times in the second half, with the Tigers going up 20 - 14 at the end of the third quarter.  USF turns the ball over two times early in the fourth quarter, but Memphis goes three and out both times.  Flowers gets the ball for one final drive -- and the USF offense clicks enough to take the lead 21 - 20 with less than a minute left.  An interception by Abaraham seals the victory, and conference championship, for the Bulls.  21 - 20 (11 - 2 | 8 - 1)

USF moves up to #14 in the nation, and is the highest rated G-5 team, meaning a slot in a New Years Six bowl.

Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl -- The Bulls are selected by the Peach Bowl to face #7 Alabama, who l.  It's a true David vs Goliath matchup, and USF is looking for a classic "South Florida Flip" against the Crimson Tide.  USF comes out with a crazy "blitz every down" defense that forces two INTs in the first three series.  The Bulls struggle against the SEC defense however, and get two field goals thanks to short fields.  The Bulls defense does not give up big plays, leading the nation in fewest plays allowed over 20 yards for the season, and this game is no different.  Alabama is able to move the ball, but is never able to hit the home run.  At halftime, the Tide leads 14 - 6, and the commentators spend the half talking about the USF defense.  USF takes the 2nd half kickoff down the field with some great adjustments, and scores.  The Bull Shark defense sets the tone on Alabama's first play, with a vicious hit by Jamie Byrd knocking the ball loose and giving Whitehurst a scoop-and-score.  The defenses for both team set the tone for the rest of the game - with limited 3rd down conversions by either side.  Alabama makes a charge late in the 4th quarter - down 20 - 14 - but an interception by Hassan Childs seals the victory for the Bulls. (12 - 2 | 8 - 1)

With the win, USF finishes #6 in the human polls... and the "way too early" polls that come out in January have USF as #20 to start the season in 2016.

Yes... I am posting my overly optimistic prediction.  Will this happen? Chances are it won't happen... especially the last couple of parts.  But USF fans have to realize that our schedule really sets up well -- the teams we face are not as good as last year... and our defense is head and shoulders better.  I really think if Flowers (and I am sure he will be the starter) is average at BEST - 52% completion percentage... better than 1:1 TD to INT ratio... and 500+ yards running - then we will easily beat FAMU, Syracuse, U Conn, and SMU... and I think Maryland, Navy, ECU, and UCF are more than beatable if we can win the turnover battles.  If Flowers struggles or CWT can't stick with one QB, then 4 wins might be all we see this year.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

8-4

Losses to FSU, Navy, Temple and Cincy.

Next question.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I am not so optimistic, but I do think there is a very real possibility that both UCF and USF go into the Thanksgiving game at 5-6 needing the win for bowl eligibilty. A great game there would be great for the conference.

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

... if Flowers (and I am sure he will be the starter) is average at BEST - 52% completion percentage... better than 1:1 TD to INT ratio... and 500+ yards running - then we will easily beat FAMU, Syracuse, U Conn, and SMU... and I think Maryland, Navy, ECU, and UCF are more than beatable if we can win the turnover battles. If Flowers struggles or CWT can't stick with one QB, then 4 wins might be all we see this year.

So you're looking for a young BJ Daniels like performance.