• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Cecil Cherry transferring to USF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  2,330
  • Content Count:  21,282
  • Days Won:  10

cwt wont be here next year.  I think he will.

i guess it doesnt hurt to let kid come aboard.  I agree

if he couldnt cut it with strong that isnt a good sign  What an inane thing to say.  For whatever reason (I know the rumors), he decided not to stay at Texas.  Even so, are you saying that a freshman that doesn't start at Texas can't be very good?

Did you read the other stuff that's out there on him? It wasn't just "he couldn't start" or "he decided not stay". He was pissed that he wasn't instantly first on the depth chart, couldn't have his HS jersey number, and that the coaches were riding him in practice. He left only a couple weeks into camp, which is very, very uncommon. I'm not necessarily against bringing him in but I don't think it's unfair to say he couldn't cut it with Strong. His position coach here isn't a softie, so he should expect more of the same.

Sometimes you go a place and it is not a fit.   Stuff happens. 

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,037
  • Days Won:  11

reality is we have no idea what actually transpired to make him leave texas....from what I've gathered, it seems like there were "promises" made that weren't necessarily kept, coach who recruited him isn't there, plus it doesn't help that your family didn't want you there in the first place. probably was best for him just to start fresh.

It's been reported by many, many sources - including some USF writers, so I tend to think it's legit, but the "well we never REALLY know for sure" is technically true (if not a cop out). I think the most likely scenario is that he had unrealistic expectations along with an unrealistic sense of his own importance - not uncommon for an 18 year old - along with some accompanying inability to deal with reality when it was presented to them. Doesn't mean the UT coaches worked hard to paint that picture before he signed, but what we DO know for sure is that he started posting private text message conversations on Twitter when he decided to leave. That is a concrete, indisputable sign that he was not making good decisions throughout this process.

I'm happy we got another athlete, but where there is smoke there is fire, and it is foolish to think that this guy has no maturity issues.

guy is 18, so I agree there probably is some growing up that needs to take place. but I could see him being angry if he was made "promises" and they weren't kept, for example:

was he promised that he would get #3 in his recruitment? why else would he be mad about it.

he was the only ILB brought in this year, yet there is a five star freshman OLB taking reps over him (same guy they said in those tweets was scared to make a tackle). Did he ask about that in his recruitment and they tell him the OLB wouldn't be playing in his position? don't know, but if he did, I could see him being upset about it.

there's been rumors about him possibly being asked to redshirt, was he promised that he wouldn't have to redshirt and now they're asking him too?

wasn't trying to use a copout, just saying there is probably more to the story

Edited by 2000bull

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

cwt wont be here next year.  I think he will.

i guess it doesnt hurt to let kid come aboard.  I agree

if he couldnt cut it with strong that isnt a good sign  What an inane thing to say.  For whatever reason (I know the rumors), he decided not to stay at Texas.  Even so, are you saying that a freshman that doesn't start at Texas can't be very good?

Did you read the other stuff that's out there on him? It wasn't just "he couldn't start" or "he decided not stay". He was pissed that he wasn't instantly first on the depth chart, couldn't have his HS jersey number, and that the coaches were riding him in practice. He left only a couple weeks into camp, which is very, very uncommon. I'm not necessarily against bringing him in but I don't think it's unfair to say he couldn't cut it with Strong. His position coach here isn't a softie, so he should expect more of the same.

Those are the rumors I mentioned.  The fact remains, that smazza believes a kid that, "can't cut it" at Texas couldn't be very good.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

reality is we have no idea what actually transpired to make him leave texas....from what I've gathered, it seems like there were "promises" made that weren't necessarily kept, coach who recruited him isn't there, plus it doesn't help that your family didn't want you there in the first place. probably was best for him just to start fresh.

It's been reported by many, many sources - including some USF writers, so I tend to think it's legit, but the "well we never REALLY know for sure" is technically true (if not a cop out). I think the most likely scenario is that he had unrealistic expectations along with an unrealistic sense of his own importance - not uncommon for an 18 year old - along with some accompanying inability to deal with reality when it was presented to them. Doesn't mean the UT coaches worked hard to paint that picture before he signed, but what we DO know for sure is that he started posting private text message conversations on Twitter when he decided to leave. That is a concrete, indisputable sign that he was not making good decisions throughout this process.

I'm happy we got another athlete, but where there is smoke there is fire, and it is foolish to think that this guy has no maturity issues.

You do realize that often times these, "many, many, sources" are just repeating what one person reports, right?

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

There's no technicality here if we don't have all the facts. And I don't mean to harp on you, but 2000 offered his own rendition of what COULD have happened, so not really even a cop-out that I can see.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

You do realize that often times these, "many, many, sources" <b>are just repeating what one person reports</b>, right?

That's a critical point to remember in this and many other "news" items.

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

It would look pretty crappy if we turned away a hometown stud because of this. If we want kids to give up a P5 offer and stay in Tampa, we've gotta be willing to give hometown kids second chances to come back.

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

There's no technicality here if we don't have all the facts. And I don't mean to harp on you, but 2000 offered his own rendition of what COULD have happened, so not really even a cop-out that I can see.

When I mentioned "cop-out", I said that "well we don't really know what happened" is often used as a cop out. Sure, stuff is often re-reported. But I have read what I consider to be reliable people relate first- and second-hand accounts of some concerning stuff on this kid. Anyone is free to disbelieve that, of course.

For those who harp on the lack of verifiability of that type of stuff, the one and only fact we do have is that he put all his (now former) teammates on blast in public. Very immature. I agree with those who say that might not be that strange for an 18 year old, but we see kids leave teams all the time without doing that. It's a sign of immaturity (and seemingly poor or no guidance from others) that may or may not improve with age.

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

Not sure if it is official, but if so good to have another athlete to compete.  Open to giving him a chance here and hopefully he contributes positively to the team.  

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

probably was promised the world to flip from TN to TX and was unhappy with the situation from the start.  He made the wrong choice, now he is a bull and hopefully his children will one day be just as athletic and grow up bulls too.  Go bulls!